Benny Kisses!

Benny Kisses!
Kiss, Kiss

Sunday, March 27, 2011

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~ Edith Wharton

I remember the first time I read the above quote, I immediately began to cry because the truth of it hit me so hard.  I have been thinking about how much our dogs are, for the most part, totally dependent upon us for their care.  When I first picked up Benny, every bone in his body was visible.  This was after being at the vets a couple of days and being given fluids and food.  I honestly was shocked when I first met Benny at the condition he was in.  He looked a lot like Patrick whose story is heartbreaking and hopeful.  Many of us wonder, how does a person, like the woman who starved Patrick, do those kind of behaviors?  Sometimes people who abuse animals are very mentally ill.  That doesn't however account for all cases.  Often when a child abuses an animal it is because there is abuse going on within their own home and they are acting out what they see.  I also think that we live in a society that actually values bullies.  What if we lived in a society where the man who was the most 'manly' of all was the one who protected someone weaker than they are?  And women were valued for her uplifting rather than diminishment of another.  Unfortunately we can't change a culture from outside of the culture.  So saying we disapprove of bullying changes nothing.....we all say we disapprove of bullying.  But, as long as bullies are embraced in this culture, they'll continue.  This is all it takes to be a bully:  the imposition of your will, your desires, your wishes on another human being by force or intimidation. 
So, basically it comes down to being stronger.  I can do whatever I want because I am stronger.  (Stronger emotionally, mentally physically, financially).
It can become very hard to hear the heartbeat at our feet when brought up to value bullying.

Here are some photos that celebrate all of us who came together to make sure there was one more rescued beautiful, heartbeat at our feet:




Wishing you all heartbeats at your feet,
In gratitude and Love,
Benny

3 comments:

  1. Loved this post. What a sweet, dog Bennie is turning out to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is benny-utiful! what a pretty pretty coat. It's so wonderful to see Benny get to enjoy being a dog ... probably for the first time in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strive to be pawsitive in all things. Benny is pawsitive all the time.

    ReplyDelete