Benny Kisses!

Benny Kisses!
Kiss, Kiss

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

“I am more and more convinced that our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves.” - Karl William Von Humboldt

How do we help ourselves when we are feeling sad?  This can easily happen in rescue work as well as in many other types of work.  I have been feeling very sad about what is happening to so many of the non humans on this planet.  What are some healthy ways to deal with sadness?
1.  We have to name what we are feeling and accept these feelings.  For example: I'm feeling sad.  It is okay to feel sad, angry, frustrated and it is important not to act out those feelings.  People acting out their anger for example is often how animals get hurt.

2.  Learn from the feelings.  What did I learn from the situation?  Can I make any changes?  Is there anyone I can ask for help?  Is there a plan I can put into place?

3.  Let Go.  When we 'let go' we are making a genuine effort to do something different.  For example we may need to list or say aloud what we are grateful for.  There is something researchers call "deep acting" which can actually change our underlying feelings.  Deep acting is not plastering on a fake smile and pretending, it is actually genuinely doing what it takes to change our feelings.  Often this takes the form of distracting ourselves from the situation.  Some examples of this are going to see a funny movie, putting on some fast music and dancing, and going for a walk.  It is an activity that helps get you into a different emotional state.

Here is Benny discussing some possibilities for changing our emotional state:



And while he is considering how to get the other dogs to play with him, take a look at all the soft thick hair growing along his back.

Wishing you all the gift of letting go of the tough feelings,
Love,
Benny 

1 comment:

  1. I was at a Reiki class this past weekend and our teacher discussed the precepts with us. Basically the precepts are:
    Just for today I will not anger,
    I will not worry,
    I am grateful, humble,
    I will be honest at my work,
    I will be compassionate to others and myself.
    Many people like to change the first two into affirmations. But if we do not deal with the anger and worry then it will keep coming back. And like you said, letting go is so important. Not always easy to do but with practice it gets easier.
    Ah, Benny's soft fur. Love you Benny (and Patti).

    ReplyDelete